Monday, June 30, 2008

Shelter resident describes daily life at Bedford-Atlantic

Readers will notice that we have begun featuring posts from our friend Nathan's blog over at bedford-atlantic.blogspot.com. Nathan describes himself on his blog as being "about as normal as you. Before I got to where I am today, I had a nice home in a nice city, a nice car, a nice dog and lots of nice friends. How easily it all slipped away. I could well have been your neighbor, your friend, your schoolmate or your relative."

"Tenaciously holding on to [his] dignity," Nathan describes his blog as "a chronicle not only of my life at the worst shelter in New York, but of all of the other tribulations I experience at the hands of other city services as I try to get my life back in order."

Betraying Nathan's natural sense of cynicism and irony that somehow manage to make his situation and the status of the shelter almost humorous in a dark kind of way, the blog is titled "Life at Castle Grayskull" - invoking the gloomy outward appearance of the shelter.

Head over to Nathan's blog to get an inside look at Bedford-Atlantic and the typical life of one of its residents.

No comments: